We hear the term “local” a lot these days. Shopping and buying locally is part of a sustainability movement, but also helps to support the community in which you live.
Here are a few reasons that buying your new floors from your local flooring retailer is cooler than buying from the big box guys:
1. Buy local, support yourself. Several studies have shown that when you purchase from an independent, locally owned store, as opposed to a national business, significantly more of your money is used to make purchases from other local businesses.
2. Customer service. Local retailers are one-of-a-kind. The customer service you’ll receive is one-of-a-kind and there are distinctive characteristics of local businesses that will be hard to find elsewhere.
3. Environmental impact. Locally owned businesses can make more local purchases, requiring less transportation and the sprawl and congestion associated with it.
4. Artisan options. Local retailers will work harder to make sure you get the product you’re looking for and will often provide hand-crafted or artisan styles not offered at the big box.
5. Create more jobs. Small local businesses are the largest employers nationally!
6. Better service. Local businesses tend to hire people who are knowledgeable about the products their selling. A big box will move people from another department when their’s is slow, so they often have little to no knowledge about the department in which they’re working.
7. Variety. Your local flooring retailer has at least as many options in the same price range as a big box store.
8. Professional installation. Local flooring stores are connected to some of the best professional installers in your community and typically build strong bonds with them – so you can trust the installer you choose.