American-Made Doesn’t Have to Cost More
Dec 9, 2014
With American unemployment rates at over 9 percent and growing concern over the state of our economy, the “buy American” movement is gaining momentum.
One of the often cited problems with buying American-made products is that they are frequently more expensive due to the high cost of manufacturing in the US. But when it comes to flooring, American-made doesn’t have to cost more. In fact, it may even cost less.
Here’s what you need to know to find a lower-priced American-made product:
- New US-imposed tariffs on imports have increased the cost of imports by 10 – 12%
- Regional factories and warehouses save money on freight because flooring doesn’t have to be shipped from overseas
- US manufacturers often manufacture several types of flooring to save on factory costs, whereas foreign manufacturers typically only manufacture one type of flooring (i.e. wood or tile)
- The value of the US dollar fluctuates, and as it weakens, the cost of imports increases
- American-made products are available in almost all types of flooring, including laminate, carpet, tile and hardwood
- Laminates from Tarkett are made in Clarion Pennsylvania and come in a wide range of styles, colors, textures and price points. Many Tarkett products are manufactured with “Americore” core board. This is a denser core material which resists denting better then other laminate materials. (Available at Flooring HQ)
- Carpets made in America by Beaulieu of America are among the finest in the world. Beaulieu has pioneered their Magic Fresh and Silver Release technology. Magic Fresh is a built-in treatment that continually reduces most common household odors while Silver Release inhibits the growth of odor and stain causing bacteria, mold and mildew for the life of your carpet. (Available at Flooring HQ)
- Tiles from Florida Tile Manufacturers once made in Lakeland are now produced in Lexington, Kentucky. Florida Tile carries a complete line of wall and floor tiles in the most current style at prices that will compare…if not better than the imports. (Available at Flooring HQ)
- Woods direct from the SFI collection are made in America and rival the imports in style and quality. The SFI collection comes in all the species and styles you could imagine: Hand Scrapes, Embossed, Smooth Finish, Oaks and Maples. Once again a great product made in America and hard to beat. (Available at Flooring HQ)
If you’re considering buying American but are afraid that the cost is prohibitive, don’t be.
Ask your local flooring retailer or warehouse what choices they have in American-made flooring.